Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Symphony of Everyday Things

Today, the kids were getting fussy after lunch, and I planned to take them to the duck pond around 1:30 (they still take a morning nap from about 10 until lunchtime...and then an afternoon nap from about 4-5:30). I mention this, because I think most toddlers take one nap somewhere right after lunch. Anyways, we go to the duck pond at 1:30 because it's after the lunch crowd dissipates, and we can usually always get quick access to the baby swings.

Anyways, in this in-between time after lunch and before the park, they didn't seem to be digging any of their toys, so I decided to pull out a small saucepan and a few wooden spoons for them to play with. Man, you would've thought I had given them the moon. They both went crazy, and after I showed them how to bang on the pan with the spoons, it got a little loud. Now, I've given them wooden spoons to play with at their high chairs before, but it was never that big of a hit. Today, it definitely was. They have not left the spoons or the saucepan alone since I gave them to them.

We did go see the ducks. Mommy actually remembered to take some old bread along this time, so that we could feed them. There were so many baby ducks, and they went CRAZY over the food we were throwing at them. So cute! The kids seemed to like seeing the ducks swarm around us hoping for some bread, but Emma was moody, and after only a few minutes, we had to move along. They did get to swing, although not as long as usual, because I can tell when other moms are waiting to use the baby swings, and since my kids take up the only two there are...I always try to keep our time short so that others can have a turn...especially when it's hot. After we finished at the swings, we tried to feed some more ducks, but Emma wasn't into it, so we left.

We drove through Braum's to get some frozen yogurt to take home for snack, and then the kids screamed ALL THE WAY HOME for no apparent reason. Tired? Maybe. Hungry? Probably. Out of juice in their sippies? Yes. Finally made it home for snack time. I shared some of my frozen yogurt with them and they also had some Jumbo Krispies. Emma screamed every time she'd eat one when she'd chew back on her molars that are coming in. Hmmm...I'm thinking her teeth hurt. I finally just held her for a little while, and she was happy eating fro yo while I held her. Alec was just looking at both of us like "what's going on?" Boys. : ) We played for a while with their new "drum set" of saucepan and spoons, and now they are sound asleep. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to go lay down for a little while.

3 comments:

Veronica Maria said...

every now and then, i like to randomly scream for no reason at all too--i think i learned that from my mother:) not that i'm implying anything here...kidding!

The Berry Family said...

Ruth still takes two naps. If I didn't have this morning nap to rest, I think I would go crazy.

Alec & Emma Davis said...

ditto! yes, i LOVE the two naps!