Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nanny's 84th Birthday Party


We took a little trip to Enid last weekend, to go see my folks and to celebrate my Nana's 84th birthday. Her actual bday was the 19th, but we usually go the weekend between her bday and Aaron's (the 27th) so that we can celebrate both. Here is a picture of her with the cake. Isn't she cute? My grandma is originally from Kent, England. She married my late Grandpa Marvin when she was 19, I believe. They met during WWII, when he was serving over there, and were married in England. He came back to the states, and she had to wait almost a year for all of the paperwork and red tape to be able to join him here in the USA. It took her something like two months to make the actual trip...again, due to all of the paperwork. Can you imagine doing all of those things at that age? Nanny has lived through a lot. She has been the only grandma that I've ever really known. My dad's mother died when I was 10mos. old, and my dad's father died when I was around 10. My mom's dad was killed by a drunk driver the year before I was born. Nanny took care of me, when my mom worked and we lived in Enid until we moved to TX. Every year after that, she would spend about 6mos out of the year with us in TX. So, we are very close. Every day with her is a gift, and she is really precious to us! Umm...we didn't have a "4" to go with the "8" to make 84 on the cake...so my mom put an 8 and a 3+1...she didn't turn 831. Geez! Just so you know!

2 comments:

The Berry Family said...

Does she still have an English accent?

Alec & Emma Davis said...

I don't catch it...but other people who hear her for the first time can tell that she still has a slight accent. It's only on certain words, though.