Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Beginning

Yesterday, we bought potties at Walmart. Alec has a white and green one, and of course, Emma's is pink. From what I've read on potty training twins, it's advisable to have two potties. So, that's what we did. I'm starting VERY slowly. I don't want to dive into this wholeheartedly just yet because they aren't really ready. They aren't aware of needing to peepee yet. They can tell us if they are pooping or have a poopy diaper...but I don't think they are able to communicate the urges yet. (Sorry if this is freaking out people who don't have to deal with the "output" of others on a daily basis!) Also, we are making three trips to TX between now and the end of February. There is no way I'm going to get serious about this until those trips are out of the way.

But anyway, I thought a good place to start (pre-training, if you will) is just to have the kids follow me to the potty, watch me do my business, and start associating the words we use with what Mommy is doing. This morning, all I had to do was say, "Mommy has to go use the potty," and they followed me right into the bathroom. Right away, Alec pulled up the lid to his potty and sat down (we're just keeping our clothes on and learning that the potty is a place to sit to do our business for now). Emma soon followed suit. I was pretty pleased with pre-training lesson 1. :-)

3 comments:

Tonia said...

That sounds like a good way to get them to learn. I hope it goes well!!!

The Berry Family said...

You mean you have been able to go to the bathroom without an audience for months? I haven't had that pleasure since Ruth started walking. She sits on the potty with clothes on all the time but is not making any moves toward potty training. Of course, I haven't really tried and won't until the adjustment phase with Grayson is over.

Veronica Maria said...

i just read this post...i'm not sure how i feel about an audience in the bathroom with me...:)