Thursday, August 18, 2011

22 Month Video Meltdown

Last night, Aaron was looking for an old video of the kids watching Jimmy Kimmel and screaming "Jimmy!" with glee...because you know, we believe in getting our kids hooked on late night talk shows from a really early age. :-) But we always DVR Jimmy, and watch it early in the evening. The kids have always really loved the house band, and Jimmy, and the other musical guests. Anyways, he finally found the video.

Then, I started looking through all the other "22 months" videos that were on the laptop. And I literally was overcome with joy and pain all at the same time. They were (and still are) so darn cute! Look at how short their hair was. It was just barely starting to curl. Look at how baby like their features still were. Look at their little diaper laden behinds. And I started crying. Because my babies are, and will be on a continual course to "growing up." And I felt guilty.

Guilty because a lot of the first few years with the twins just felt like survival. They were wonderful and filled with joy, but I would be lying if I said that there weren't times when I would consciously think, "oh, it's just going to be so much easier when we're out of this phase, or they're older, or they can do blank, or blah blah blah."

I have tried to be careful to savor the baby years with Alec and Emma, but I still feel like I could have cherished them more. And I don't know if there will be another baby in our future or not.

But I'm glad that I watched the videos, because every now and then, God gently reminds me that every day and every season, with its unique challenges and joys, is truly a gift. Time goes by way too quickly.

So, today...when Alec pooped on the potty, and I didn't hear him calling for me because Emma was trying to do the same in the other bathroom...and he was running around bare bottomed in the living room before getting cleaned up...I just laughed it off. Because that was a silly, childlike thing to do. And I was actually happy that my baby boy still acts like a baby sometimes. (Luckily, I didn't have to clean up anything but him. The carpet and the furniture were fine. Otherwise, this would probably be an altogether different story. ;-)) Hey, I'm still human!

Here's the link to the video Aaron edited:
Young Jimmy Kimmel Fans

1 comment:

Tonia said...

That video is awesome. I bet if you sent it to Jimmy Kimmel he'd bring them as guests on the show!

They do grow up too fast. At least you have videos to look at, even if it does make you cry sometimes. :)