Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Starting to Get to Me

So, last night I started really missing Aaron. It's one thing to have your husband take a trip somewhere for business or whatever. He's in the country. He's safe. You can call each other frequently. But in this situation, while I feel he's going to relatively safe places, it's so hard not to get to talk to him. Pastor bought an India plan. We did not. I think we were thinking that a few more of the places would have internet access so we could Skype. You know us...super cheap! We got to talk last night for like 90 seconds (it was probably longer...but it felt so short!) Basically it was to say that things are going great. They are doing really well, and wanted to let us know that they are fine, and he misses and loves us. I had put him on speaker to talk to the kids and Emma was a total toot butt. I had just gotten home from teaching and they had stayed with a friend of mine. I had just given them permission to play a game on the ipad, when Daddy called. So, of course I grabbed the ipad and turned it off to let them talk to Dad. But instead of being excited to talk to Dad, Emma was super peeved that I took her game away and spent the whole call not being engaged with her father. Alec was a little more cooperative. Like I said, the call was short.

Then, I hung up and turned into Psycho Mom. I totally wailed at the kids about how their dad is on the other side of the world and we haven't talked to him in 5 days and all they care about it the dang ipad. I was so angry. And angry that I only got to talk to him for like 2 seconds. And angry that his feelings might be hurt because the kids acted like they didn't care. Dang it! Why can't they act like they're 10 instead of 4?! And then I got real emotional and we all melted down together. Fantastic.

I'm hoping that was the peak of insanity. We were riding a wave of all being really well. Heck, we had ice cream for dinner on Sunday. Today things have been a lot more mellow. We talked it out at bedtime and decided the plan for today would be to go to Walmart and get stuff to make a big "Welcome Home Daddy!" poster. The kids had dance class this afternoon, and tonight I think we're going to do another popcorn and movie night.

What I know about what Aaron has been doing is this: Sunday they had several church services, Monday they dedicated the new church that our church funded, today they visited a girls orphanage, and right now (tomorrow there) they are boarding a train to another village to dedicate another church.

See the pics below:

 
I'll let you guess who Pastor Jim is! :-) Stole these pics from P. Jim's facebook. Here's what he says:
"Very touching afternoon at a girls orphanage. We brought them: barrettes/hair bands, school supplies, tooth brushes/tooth paste, sporting equipment, toys, and too much candy!! A Most Wonderful Day. "
 
Pretty sure Aaron is taking the picture. That's why he's not in it.
 
 
I just got a picture mail from Aaron. For some reason I can't access the mass storage on my dumb phone, or I would add the pictures he's sent me. There was one of him eating food the village prepared at the first church dedication. The next two are him on the train and a picture of the train bathroom. They're both germophobes, so lets just hope they don't have to use it. :-)
 
He looks happy in both pics. So that makes my heart happy. I gave him a journal at Christmas for this trip. I hope he's had time to write some of his daily experiences down. I can't wait to hear about EVERYTHING!!!

On the home front, it looks like we may get some yuck-o winter weather tomorrow into Thursday. They're calling for snow tomorrow, turning into ice over Wednesday night. They're saying it could possibly knock out power. Hmm. I'm not really worrying, since they've been TOTALLY wrong about every snow forecast thus far this winter. But just incase, we have plenty of bread for pb&j's, and we have a gas fireplace and water heater. We can totally survive. Ice better be gone by Friday at 4:20 though....because this girl is GOING to the airport! 

2 comments:

The Berry Family said...

But snow would give the kids something to play in outside that would wear them out....You will have to have Aaron write a blog post upon his return.

Tonia said...

My sister sent me a picture of what it looked like in OKC this morning. Hopefully you didn't get hit too badly. I know how hard it can be without power and trying to entertain kids.

Only one more day! Try to hang in there.