Monday, January 25, 2010

Where did the weekend go?

We had a very full weekend. Fridays, Aaron only works 1/2 day (unless they need him to stay for meetings or issues or whatever). Last Friday, he had some afternoon meetings, but he was still able to meet me and the kids at Chick-Fil-A for lunch and playtime. He met us back at home right as the kids woke up from their nap...around 3:30. Then, I went to do some shopping, and found an awesome deal on a dress for Veronica's rehearsal dinner.

Saturday, I went to Zumba class, and the kids took an early nap before we went to a friend's surprise birthday party. We had some really awesome carne asada tacos, and enjoyed being with lots of friends. When we got home, the kids were so worn out, they took a second nap.

Aaron and I watched Revolutionary Road over the weekend. Depressed the heck out of me, and made me really annoyed at people who are discontented with their lives for stupid and selfish reasons. Maybe that was the purpose of the movie...to get you to think about that. Gratitude is a really good antidote for discontentment. If you are always thinking about what coulda, woulda, shoulda happened...and all of the stuff that you are supposedly "entitled to" in this life...you will end up failing to live it. None of us are entitled to anything, folks. "Two women looked through prison bars. One saw dirt, the other saw stars." Okay, I'll get off of that soapbox.

Sunday was crazy. The kids woke up waaaay too early. We went to church after getting them to take a short, early nap...so they wouldn't make the nursery ladies want to strangle us! :-) I danced during the offering, while a friend of mine sang Our Hope Endures by Natalie Grant. It didn't occur to us until while we were both doing it, that the song speaks of earthquakes. We had chosen to use that song for a special long before Christmas. And it was amazing that we were asked to do "something" this Sunday, without any of us realizing that the earthquake would hit Haiti when it did.

Then, Aaron and I taught Kids' Church, and afterward, we had to go to an Angel Tree debriefing meeting with the main coordinators and pastor. Yeah, my kids were so done by then. There was a good amount of screaming, squirming, and the like at the restaurant. Alec ate a whole bowl of salsa with chips (he's totally 1/4 Mexican). Emma didn't eat much but applesauce and a little bit of beans. Then they rebelled against the high chairs. Emma was finally quieted when George brought out a stuffed animal for her to play with. Alec fell asleep on my lap. :-) Then we all came home to collapse.

I tried to take a nap, but couldn't sleep. So, I went to the grocery store. Got home, ate, put the kids down, and then worked on the song list with Aaron for next Sunday because we are leading worship. I have so much respect for worship leaders. It is so much more involved than just picking some nice songs. It's work...finding themes, and figuring out keys, intros, outros, and the like. Totally rewarding, but totally work.

Okay, my munchkins are waking up. Gotta go!

2 comments:

Veronica Maria said...

Revolutionary Road was by far the most depressing movie either of us has ever seen. Pretty sure we needed anti-depressants after watching it.

The Berry Family said...

We watched Revolutionary Road in the fall. We too hated it. And I really like those actors but we hated the movie. Not a good movie to watch when you are pregnant. What exactly is zumba?

I can't believe you are so busy. Please tell me you are coming to the reunion. Our kids have to meet.