Saturday, August 21, 2010

What a Slacker!

So, I realize that I've been terriby negligent with this blog. For the past two weeks we've had Aaron's mom, Wanda, with us. You would think that having the extra pair of hands would cause me to spend more time blogging, but it didn't. I was enjoying spending the time with her (and the boys while they were here the first week.) I haven't done a whole lot of anything on the computer in the last two weeks. Anyways, here's a quick rundown:

Wanda and two of Aaron's brothers, Andrew and Alex, arrived on the 6th. We all went to Branson on Sunday, the 8th, after church, and stayed at the Grand Country Inn. We chose the GCI because it has an indoor and outdoor waterpark, which we could all enjoy in the 100+ degree weather. We did the waterpark and did some shopping. We only stayed one night, because I had to be back to teach on Monday. Alex and Andrew stayed until Thursday. They needed to head back for a gig that Andrew had on Friday. We all enjoyed our time with them. The kids had so much fun with Uncle NuNu and Uncle Alex. I especially appreciated having so many people around to entertain the kids.

Wanda decided to stay an extra week, because we really needed help Thursday and Friday. You see, I needed to go to Enid by myself to take care of some family business that I was really not looking forward to. I needed to go support my mother in telling my Nana that it was time for her to go into a nursing home. The doctors have been saying that she needs 24 hour care for a long while, and it was finally time to do it. Thursday, I left after the kids went down for nap. Wanda was with them until Aaron got home and then took care of them on Friday while Aaron worked from home. Thursday night was no fun. It was one of those "adult things" that I never signed up for. Friday was better. By the time Nana was actually admitted to the nursing home, things were much more calm. But it was definitely an emotional few days. No one wants to go into a nursing home. And no one wants to have to put their loved one there. But sometimes, it is in everyone's best interest. We certainly want her to have the care that she needs. And I think she's ended up liking the place a lot more than she ever imagined. I was so appreciative that Wanda stayed, because the added stress of having to either take the kids along with me or to have to find sitters would have just been so much more to deal with.

She stayed for a whole extra week, which was wonderful. The kids love having her around, and so do Aaron and I. She is a big help! I got to take care of a lot of errands that are just so much easier without the children, and Aaron and I got to (drumroll please) go on a date! We know that this is really important, however, it still is a rare occurrance considering that we don't have family here, that sitters can be pretty expensive, and that even though we have several good friends that will offer to watch them for free...it's still hard to make schedules work out, because we are all very busy people.

This afternoon, she flew home. Aaron and the kids took her to Tulsa to the airport, while I had to teach a workshop in Fort Smith. We are all back home now.

I have to get back into the swing of the "just me and the kids" routine, and I have some potty training to look forward to...when I really get myself psyched up enough for it. I also have to get ready for Aaron and I to turn 30, which will be happening very soon.

I have new pics to post, but that will have to wait until later. :-)

2 comments:

The Berry Family said...

Yeah! An update!

Tonia said...

The 'grown up' things are never fun. I still just don't feel that I'm old enough to have to deal with them. Happy early birthday!