Tuesday, March 31, 2009

And....we're back!

The Davis family took a trip to Texas for a few days for some nifty events that took place over the weekend. First of all, there was a 25th anniversary celebration of Victoria Ballet Theatre, which I was a part of from 1990-1998. Several alumni returned to dance together in a piece called "Still Dancing" set to the music "Fame." I was able to see lots of old friends, one of my best friends to this day, in particular...Veronica Vallejo. It was so awesome to take the stage again with some wonderful ladies that I share a love of dance with, and also with whom I shared some of the fondest memories of my youth.

We drove down on Wednesday, and stayed in Conroe with Tia Veronica (aunt V for the babies). She made us some awesome Puerto Rican spaghetti! Then on Thursday, we stopped in for a visit with another great friend from VBT, Laura Meadows Garrett...who just had a beautiful baby girl, Elizabeth Elaine, in February. She obviously has something very important to attend to, so she was unable to come dance with us. But it was wonderful getting to see her and her adorable daughter.

We stayed in Goliad, with Aaron's grandma, Florine, the rest of the time. We were able to see lots of family, including his brother Aric and his 6 month old, Cira Jo. This was our first time to see her. She is precious, and we are so glad that we finally got to meet her.

Another reason for our trip was to celebrate the babies first birthday while we were together with Aaron's side, and since we were all going to be together, I thought it would be nice to have Alec and Emma dedicated to the Lord in Goliad.

I have been wanting to have a dedication service for them since they were born, but wanted to do it when family could be around for support. It just seemed like everything would come together nicely while we were down in Goliad, so Bette Burris, the minister at Goliad Presbyterian Church (G'ma Davis' church) was kind enough to perform a service of blessing and dedication for Alec and Emma. They were prayed for and we as their parents, along with their family, and the church family were charged to teach them the Christian faith, to pray for them, and to raise them in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. If there is nothing else that my children learn from me, I hope it is to be like Jesus. And my greatest desire for them is that they know His love and grace, accept His love and grace, and walk in the plan and purposes that He has for them.

Alec was sleepy for most of the service. Emma, in true Emma fashion, tried to steal the show. She blabbered along while Bette spoke. She insisted on walking around the front and down the aisle, and on playing with Bette's stole while the dedication was spoken. Of course, she was a hit. Family in attendance included Aaron's parents and brothers, Andrew and Alex, his Grandmas Florine and Delphina, his aunts Becky and Linda, his great aunts Eva and Lucy, and cousin Debbie...and well, I'm pretty sure most of the church and the town of Goliad is related to my husband in some way...if not by blood, by friendship!

After church, we all gathered for a potluck lunch and then back home to get ready for the birthday party. Now, Emma had not felt well on Saturday, and by Sunday afternoon, Alec was starting to feel crummy too. But they made it through for all of the festivities. Aaron's mother, aunts, cousins and others did a FANTASTIC job of creating a very special party for my babies! Alec had a white cake with pineapple filling that was decorated with balloons. Emma had a carrot cake decorated with flowers. And there was a German chocolate cake for the adults. We had G'ma Wanda's yummy chicken salad sandwiches and lots of different veggies, chips and dips, including G'pa Jeff's chile con queso. The kids had a little of the chicken salad, while playing with the balloon bouquets that were tied to their chairs. They sure like balloons! We put slices of cake in front of them to let them go wild. Emma totally went for it...in fact, I think she still has cake on her! Alec, feeling not to great, didn't really seem to interested. He did lick a little off of my finger, but wasn't feeling up to it.

Then we did presents. My children were blessed with a lovely spring wardrobe, some sweet plush toys, a special picture album, a book to share and some money for their college accounts. THANK YOU to all of the family for loving on my babies! They aren't old enough to thank you, but I am...and we are so very grateful for all of your love, support and generosity.

I will upload pictures in a separate post, because I can't find the cord I need to transfer them right now!

1 comment:

Veronica Maria said...

I just spent 15 minutes starring at the picture of me with Emma and Alec. I love my babies and miss them already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!