Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July Weekend

For the long weekend, we went to Enid to see my folks. We had a great visit, even though it rained...and rained...and rained. We got in a little after 7 on Friday evening, had dinner and then my sister, Christina gave Alec a haircut (don't worry, the curls are still intact!), Emma a bangs trim (despite a rather outrageous amount of screaming), and Aaron a trim.

Saturday, we hung out around the house. Our big adventure for the day was going to Walmart to get some things to make 4th of July goodies. Dad did a shrimp boil that night, which was super delicious. Kylie and I decorated pretzel sparklers while the twins took a nap.

Sunday, we all went to Leonardo's Discovery Warehouse. It is a hands-on art and science museum, and amazingly enough...it's in Enid! There is an indoor museum and an outdoor area called Adventure Quest with the world’s largest community built outdoor playground. We couldn't do the outdoor part because of the rain, but the kids still had a blast inside. They got to explore a flight tower, a cockpit, some space memorabilia, look at different dress-up outfits, "go shopping" in a supermarket, paint, color, sit on thrones, pretend to be a doctor/patient, build castles, play with trains, see a giant Mammoth tusk that was found in Enid, see lizards, turtles, and a chinchilla, go through space under a blacklight, climb ladders, crawl through tunnels, and explore some different scientific phenomena. It was just as interesting and fun for the adults as it was for the kiddos.

Dad grilled burgers and hotdogs that evening and Kylie and I decorated a flag cake. We drove out to see the fireworks at 9pm, and waited and waited...along with a bazillion other people to find out that, even though the paper said the show was "on," the website said that the show was postponed a week. BUMMER! Monday, we returned home after breakfast...and spent the rest of the day vegging out. None of us got much sleep over the weekend, because Alec and Emma were suffering allergies brought on by my mom's old, fat cat, Charlie. (Sorry Mom, just stating the facts.) We love Charlie, but man, he sure does a number on me and the kids. I sneeze all day and get itchy eyes. They get gallons of snot and cough all night...thus the no sleeping part. It's worth it, to be with family. I just need to remember to start the kids on Claritin a few days before we go next time...and maybe me too. I'll post pics in the next post, but I'm on my way to a power nap right now. Actually got up at 6 to run this morning, and am totally wiped out now. The kids are about asleep, so I think I will too.

2 comments:

Tonia said...

I can't believe they cancelled the fireworks. What a disappointment. It sounds like the kids had fun at the discovery warehouse though. Even though it rained at least you got to spend time with your family. Hope you get some rest and everyone is back to normal soon.

The Berry Family said...

Sounds like a good trip. I ran yesterday morning and thought of you. You have been my inspiration for running!