Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins

My friend Carey, who has twin girls, just four months older than A&E, came up with a great muffin recipe that combines chocolate (for the kids/husband) and fiber (which all of us need, but particularly for the older crowd). I like it because it subs applesauce for shortening, making the muffins really moist, and healthier. I also like them because they aren't too sweet. She makes hers with wheaties and oats...but I just made them with oats. Here's the version that we made yesterday:

Chocolate Oatmeal Muffins
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup applesauce
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cups oats

Combine all dry ingredients (except the oats). Add milk, applesauce and vanilla. Beat on low (or use elbow grease) for 2 minutes. Add the egg and beat another 2 minutes. Stir in the oats.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins. The yield for me was 18 muffins.

The kids helped me stir this recipe up on Monday after Mom's Day Out. They had so much fun mixing it up and then eating what they made later. They were really excited watching them puff up in the oven. Emma and I especially have been knocking them back...Alec and Daddy aren't quite as enthusiastic. To quote Aaron "they taste healthy." :-) They do...but I don't think they taste as healthy as bran muffins though.

Tomorrow is a snow day for sure, and I told them we'd stir up another batch. That made them happy.

Well, that's enough Susie Homemaker for today. Over and out.

3 comments:

Ted and Anne said...

These sound so yummy Jennifer, I can't wait to try them. Plus, they have chocolate in them! :)

Lee & Haley said...

I'm with you and Emma--YUM! I'm totally making them very soon!

Tonia said...

Those sound awesome!