Thursday, May 26, 2011

Now I Know What Apps Are

Right, so go ahead and laugh...all of you iphone and smart phone users. Aaron and I proudly swim as salmon upstream against the latest fads in consumer technology.

Neither of us had a cell phone until we got married. (Okay, my parents got me one when I turned 16 just for emergency "on the road" purposes...but I'm not counting that since I only used it a total of about 4 times, and it stayed forever parked in the center car console.)

It took us two years to price and finally decide on our Sharp Aquos tv, that I can't even tell you the inch measurement of. I'm wanting to say like maybe 42''???

We don't have a data plan on our Sprint account...just talk and text. There's really no reason for it, because I'm home with the kids all day and can use the computer as needed, and Aaron has his work Blackberry to do whatever he needs to do.

Several times at church, someone has let the kids "play" with their iphone or ipad, and for a while now, the kids have been really frustrated as to why our tv, phones and computer screens don't have touch screen capabilities. Well, that all changed because for Mother's Day, I got an ipod touch. It wasn't even something I was in the market for, except that I lost my nano. I'm pretty sure I left it at the gym by the water fountain after running, and it's long gone. I needed something to be able to continue to track my runs...so Aaron suggested the ipod touch, since it has built in Nike+ capabilities and we could use it to download apps and games for the kids. Which brings me to the title of today's post.

Obviously, I know that apps existed, just had never ever accessed or used one until now. In fact, last year our MOMC club compiled a list of favorite Moms' and Kids' apps to post in our newsletter. Pretty sure I just sat there looking bewildered as people listed things I'd never heard of like Pandora. So, now that we have the ipod touch, Aaron has set us up with some really fun stuff that the kids LOVE. There are several preschool games that they beg to play...and are really really good at. In fact, I'm pretty sure they know their way around the ipod and its apps better than I do. No...I'm certain of it.

So, I guess we are taking technological baby steps. It's nice to be able to track my runs again, to send the info to the Nike site right from the ipod on wifi, for the kids to have one more thing to hook their attention when we're in situations where they're getting really restless or bored, and to know what people are talking about when they refer to Angry Birds. :-)

4 comments:

Lee & Haley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lee & Haley said...

I was swimming right along with you until last week. Now I don't know how I functioned without my android phone that makes alien smiley faces when I text. It had an app that tracks my runs for me and sends them to a website for safe keeping. Oh and Angry Birds???? SOOOOO addicting! Glad you {and the too adorable for words twins} are enjoying!

Veronica Maria said...

Welcome to the 21st Century:)

Tonia said...

I just got an iphone in jan. I really didn't think I'd use it that much but I do enjoy. Although Mark tells me I'm still behind the times because I don't have an ipod, i have no music downloaded to my phone, I have no facebook page and I really just use my phone for calls, texting and occassionally the internet. Maybe your kids can help me out. :)