Sunday, May 1, 2011

Race for the Cure 2011

Saturday I participated in Race for the Cure. If you've followed this blog, you might remember that Aaron and I have participated every year that we've lived here except for 2008, because the babies had just been born. Last year, I ran my first 5K in RFTC. Yesterday, I ran my first official 10K. I got the chip timer thingy and everything. I've been training for a good while, and felt pretty confident that I could do it.

And I did! I completed the 10K (6.2 miles) in 1:07:00. I came in 178th of I don't know how many women. They post the top 250 male and females to their website. I know that there were 16,000 that either walked, ran or competed. I wasn't running to win anything. I was pretty surprised that I finished in the top 200 females. I just wanted to finish...and get the medal. :-)
Since this was the inaugural year for the competitive 10K, everyone who participated in it got medals.

I love being involved in RFTC because it is a cause close to our hearts. Aaron's mother and grandmother are both breast cancer survivors. It's a way to celebrate their victories!

I'm also planning to run in the Cancer Challenge 10K at the end of June. Our church is putting together a team in honor of our friend, Liz, who died of cancer.

Here are a few pics from the race:




It's hard to tell from this pic, but I'm near the center of the photo...about to cross the finish line.



My sweet kiddos congratulating me after the race, and checking out my cool medal!

3 comments:

Mary said...

Way to go!

The Berry Family said...

Dang. Dang.

Tonia said...

Awesome! I can't even run around the block. Partly because my calf gives out on me but mainly because I don't like to run and have no endurance.

So proud of you!