Monday, July 4, 2011

The New Teaching Situation

Oh my gosh, it has been a busy few weeks. Two weeks ago I finished up another Nike Challenge and training for my second 10K. Last week was spent getting ready to go on vacation. Today is the 4th of July! Happy 4th to all! We are here in Victoria with Aaron's family. I will devote a whole post to our adventures while in TX after we get back home...but the purpose of this post is to explain my new teaching situation.

So, for the past few years, I've worked for a place in Bentonville called Classical Ballet Academy (CBA). I've taught modern and ballet for a few hours on Monday nights. One Friday a month (usually) during the school year, I'd go down to WAB in Ft. Smith to teach company class.
And that's been the extent of it, because carving out enough family time in the evenings is of utmost importance to me right now.

CBA was a great studio situation. Really one of two studios in the entire NWA area that really specialized in true classical ballet programs.

So, two weeks before end of year recital, the director told me that CBA would be no more. For starters, she'd gotten divorced from her husband in December (I had no idea.) And apparently because it was not necessary, she never took a salary for herself from the non-profit academy and company that she had built. So, there was that. Secondly, all but two of her teachers (me and someone else) were moving, having a baby, going back to school, etc. So, long story short, she was going to transition and get a "day job" and going to lease her studios to a dance entity called Infiniti Performing Arts, (while still hoping to be able to teach a few evening classes and possibly to continue to direct another Nutcracker.)

So, basically, it was my prerogative to work as a ballet instructor for the new dance entity. Infiniti was originally set up as a dance, cheer, tumble place. The dance part was largely committed to competition preparation, with a few "rec" classes available for your regular Jill of the street. The dance director had always wanted to have a "legit" ballet program, but since all of the real ballet teachers were already taken, she'd send her dancers to CBA to get their ballet technique. She understands the fact that ballet is foundational to all of the other forms of dance that they offer.

So, I was a little uncertain of what to do. Part of me wanted to run like hell, because the thought of actually being employed by a "competition studio" made my stomach turn. I figured I could just go work for my friend at the "other real ballet studio." But then part of me really felt for all the CBA dancers that truly were pursuing ballet as serious dancers, that basically felt that they'd been dropped and had nowhere to go. So many students and parents came to me hoping that I'd stick around so that their kids could continue to take ballet or modern with someone familiar. So, I agreed to go ahead and teach there.

I'm continuing to be a "one day a week" girl...because I'm not ready to devote any more evenings away from my family. But on that one day, I'm working my butt off. And it will be even crazier in the fall. The past few weeks, I taught 4-9:15 with no breaks. Sr. Rep Team ballet, Int Ballet, Int Pointe, Adv Ballet, Adv Pointe. No, 5 hours isn't really a long day, but teaching 5 straight hours of ballet can make anyone loopy. I've been covering the 4pm class for a friend. After the holiday break, I'll go in at 5:15, so that will be easier.

In the fall, I'll add morning classes on Mondays, since the kids are in MDO. Probably a creative movement, adult ballet, and Zumba. And the new director is wanting to schedule me from 5-10 in the evening. So, Mondays this year will pretty much knock me out. (I've never worked anywhere where classes go so late. I don't know if I can handle teaching until 10. 9 yes, but 10 is doubtful. And I can guarantee that the dancers that are coming from CBA will not stay at the studio past 8:30.)

So, I'm kindof getting my feet wet under the new label and direction. Attendance has been low because it's summer, and because communication of the actual schedule has been almost non-existent. That's another story.

I'm determined to stick it out for a year, and see how it goes. I will also be teaching a modern class for the other studio I spoke of. My friend who owns it will set it up so that Alec and Emma can take Creative Mvmt. while I teach modern. That will be another day of teaching, but earlier in the afternoon, and I don't have to worry about childcare...so its fine.

Okay, I think that's most of the info about that. I've been trying to find the time to post about this for a while...but I just haven't had the time to get it all down.

I will try to get some pics up of my last 10K and some of the pics we've taken so far on our trip if I can find the camera cord.

Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

The Berry Family said...

I just now saw this post....I don't think it was showing up because I check your blog almost every day but haven't checked it in a few days. Anyway, you may be surprised how much you enjoy the kids. Just be yourself and teach kick butt ballet and make them rise to your expectations.