Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Walk at the Duck Pond

Yesterday, I took the kids to the Springdale duck pond and park for the first time. It's kind of surprising that I even know that it exists, considering we do so many things in other towns: Bentonville, Rogers, Bella Vista, Lowell, and Fayetteville. There aren't a lot of places that I frequent in Springdale proper, since we live on the outskirts of the city in Benton county (most of Springdale is in Washington county) with direct access to I-540. But, I did teach ballet class at the Springdale youth center for a while, and so I know where it is. It is in an area of town where the high school, youth center, public library, duck pond, playground, and aquatic center are clustered together. Since yesterday was one of the first days that we've had really gorgeous weather, (and since I've been really tired of being cooped up in this house all winter), I decided it was time for an adventure.

So, I loaded up the kids and the stroller, and off we went. Now, I'd seen the duck pond park in passing, but had never paid really good attention to it. It was wonderful. There was a really nice walking trail that led around the pond, the playground, the pavilions, and the swingset. The kids just took everything in. I think they were really glad to get out (we walk the neighborhood often, but I think they appreciated the change of scenery.) I noticed that the swingset had two baby swings, and I totally wanted to swing Alec and Emma in them, but these two other moms were hogging them the whole time we were at the park. I kept glancing over as we made our rounds, hoping that they'd make their way over to some other equipment, but it didn't happen.

After our visit to the duck pond, the kids were tuckered out. They went right to bed and took a good nap. And so did I. I think the duck pond will definitely be a place that we frequently go.

P.S. I did take the camera to document this momentus event, but the battery wasn't charged. Oops! I'll get pics next time!

No comments: