Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Mother's Prayer

I recently found this poem in a book called Meditations for Moms by Crystal Bowman (Baker Books, 2001). I thought I'd share this wonderful prayer with the blog readers, since many of you are parents.


My gracious heavenly Father,
Please hear me as I pray.
I come to you on bended knee
And ask of you today,
To give me wisdom, strength, and love
To raise my children for you,
That they might love and honor you
In everything they do.

I ask that you'll watch over them
Throughout their childhood years.
Protect them as they run and play
And calm their childish fears.
And when they reach their teenage years
I pray that they'll be strong,
To stand up to temptation
And turn away from wrong.

I pray that they would read your Word
And talk with you each day,
So they will know your perfect will
And follow in your way.
I ask that you would be their guide
As they begin to date.
Help them choose, dear Lord, I pray,
A loving, godly mate.

And when they're blessed with little ones
I pray that they may too
Have the wisdom, strength, and love
To raise their children for you.
(Bowman, pp.36-37)

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not turn from it.-Proverbs 22:6 NIV

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother"-which is the first commandment with a promise-"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."- Ephesians 6:1-3 NIV

1 comment:

Lee & Haley said...

I love that!

Let me know if y'all are ever in the DFW area--would love to get together!