Sunday, November 23, 2008

Are they twins?!




So...Thursday, I took the babies to Target. I wanted to look at shoes, but I also just wanted to get out of the house. Granted, it's pretty difficult going places with two babies, but I do venture out every now and again. Sometimes we'll make a run to the post office. Sometimes to Wal-Mart when I only need a few things that will fit in one of the small baskets that you carry in your hand. I just hook it over my arm, and I have them in their double stroller. I always take them when its their naptime, since they almost always fall asleep in the car, and will be happy just to ride around in the stroller for a little while. However, I'm almost always in a bit of a hurry to get what needs to be done done, so that I can get them back home for the next feeding. As you can imagine, this is important...because while dealing with one fussy baby is one thing, dealing with two fussy babies is quite another.

That being said, whether it's just me with them, or Aaron and me with them...it's crazy how many times we get stopped, stared at, pointed at, called out to...and various and sundry other very interesting reactions. At least once, every time I take them out, someone asks me if they are twins. I guess I don't really understand that question. I mean, how could I have possibly had these two babies separately...as close in size as they are?? I guess it's conceiveable by a huge stretch of the imagination, or I guess maybe I could have adopted one or both or I don't know! But I have answered this question about 50 times now.
The other comment that is made at least once an outing is "You have your hands full!" This has been yelled at me across the parking lot, as well as by people stopping me/us in stores. I've had a few sets of mothers with small children, stop their kids and tell them to come over to Alec and Emma's stroller to look at the babies and have a conversation about them without making eye contact with me or otherwise asking me if it's okay for their kids to come up and point and stare at my babies (it's flu season, people). And perhaps the weirdest thing, is that a young male greeter at Wal-Mart, not too long ago, stopped me to talk to them and started stroking both of them and talking to them. He basically wanted me to wait to shop until one or both of them smiled for him. Now, I try to be a patient and loving person. And I am thrilled that people notice my children and are drawn to them. But there are times that I truly feel like we are a circus act or something. And the thing that peeves me the most is that (especially when I am alone with them) I am on a mission to get what I need and get out, because I have to get it done before one or both get cranky...and so getting stopped 5 times a trip usually makes this difficult.
You might ask why I don't just do everything on the weekends, when I have Aaron around to help...well, sometimes it's absolutely necessary, and I also like to rest on the weekend, and not just run errands and do shopping. I realize that I've done some venting here, but I just thought I'd tell a little bit about what our shopping adventures are like.

So, back to Target. I decided to swing through the baby dept. Truly, we have had to buy no clothes for our own kids because we received so much through our showers and so much has been handed down to us from friends. We bought them each an outfit for their 6 month picture session last month, and until this trip to Target...that had been it. So, I was looking for some jackets and winter hats for them...and found these precious Classic Pooh hats with the ears. I couldn't resist and also bought them each an outfit with a jacket. As you can see in the pics above, they look pretty darling in those hats!

3 comments:

The Berry Family said...

I know EXACTLY (well, one child less) how you feel. Enough said.

But you know, you could be babysitting one of them. They really don't look alike. They are both beautiful in their own way but not like each other.

Veronica Maria said...

At least you're not the Duggers...imagine what that's like...by the way, when I come visit can we go stalk them? Yes, I just become one of "those people", but I really really wanna see them...

Anonymous said...

they are so darling and so good that they are not trying to get the hat off!!!!!

Joys of being a mom of twins, the things you never thought about before!